Thursday, December 22, 2011

The 12 Days of Christmas- Day 10

On the 10th day of Christmas blog posts I give you "Great Expectations"

I feel like my life is a tornado right about now. Whirling around faster than I can keep up with. Days are over and done with before I hardly realize what the date is or what day of the week it is. I had so many good intentions for this month before Christmas arrived. Christmas crafts and baking, service projects and cards and lots and lots of time with my children.

Now here it is two days before Christmas and I'm left feeling like the whole month has just fallen through my hands as fast as sand falls through the hourglass and it won't slow down and it won't just stop so I can catch my breath. And I can't do anything about it except feel overwhelmed with everything still needing to be done and depressed about everything that didn't get done. Even these little blog posts have added pressure to my life but I set a goal and I want to keep it so there is at least one thing where I can say, see, I did what I set out to do!

Tonight while I was wallowing in my pool of things to do my husband gently chided me for feeling like this. He pointed out all the wonderful things that HAVE happened this month: we went to see the temple lights with a lady Kris works with and her girls AND had them come to church with us (twice!), we watched the First Presidency Christmas Devotional, attended two band concerts and a school play, made a gingerbread house with Rex at school, took the trip to Sedona, saw the Nutcracker, got our visiting teaching and home teaching done (yay!), made it to the ward Christmas party, set up, went to and cleaned up the Relief Society Christmas dinner, went to see a train display and had a little family party afterwards, have a secret Santa doing the 12 Days of Christmas for us, had some cousin lunches and playdates, and not to mention getting ready for Christmas, if you know what I mean. And all this in addition to just the regular craziness that ensues on a daily basis around these parts. 

His moral: Cut myself some slack. And lower my expectations.
For some reason these are hard for me to do, but I am working on it. 
At Christmastime especially I just really want life to be fun and meaningful for my children and I guess sometimes I'm just looking so hard I don't see what's right in front of me.
So- my goal for the next few days: take a deep breath, smile and make sure my family knows how much I love them. Especially my husband. Gosh I love that guy! He is so patient with me.

Colby, 12/25/09
"Sometimes you just can't keep your kids from crawling under the tree. Sometimes you just can't do everything in life that you want to and sometimes that's ok." ~Me

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You guys really did a lot for the holiday season. I know what you mean though. I was CONSTANTLY listening to Christmas music, watching Christmas movies and baking and cooking but I still never felt like it was enough. It just sneaks up on you. I wish I could have been there to do so many of these things with you. You definitely need to cut yourself some slack. Love ya.