Thursday, January 29, 2009

Derby

Oh, the Pinewood Derby, striking dread into the hearts of mothers everywhere. The most anticipated event of a cub scout's year arrived in our neck of the woods. Matthew wanted his car in the shape of a dragon (thanks to Brisingr, of the Eragon trilogy). Oy, I thought. Honestly, guiltily, I did not have much hope for this poor block of wood. Happily, hubby did a fantastic job, all hand carved, most impressive. At least I was impressed, and so were all the other cub scouts, and so was the guy at the weigh in "you hand carved the whole thing?" he asked incredulously. Yes, with a pocket knife! Glader the dragon held his own in the races, alas he did not take home the top prize, he was somewhere in the middle of the pack (he did come in first on one of his runs and second on another one), but we were proud of him nonetheless! And I can take a deep sigh of relief that this event has come and gone for at least one more year and we made it through without any tears. It's like the Cub Master said (quoting Pres. Monson) "we are all in a race, the race of life and we can all be winners in this race!"

"Glader" the Dragon in all his golden glory.

zoom, zoom

The proud owner

dubbed Most Creative

and indeed it was!
(or dad was for creating it)

Looking forward to the 250 other pinewood
derbies I will be attending in my lifetime!

10 comments:

Tara said...

Oy, is right! He looks really grown up and happy. What a relief it all worked out so well. oh, btw his teeth look great! I think Kris may want to invest in shaper, more handy kind of knife, if he going to continue his handy work through all these next years.

Tara said...

Oh, forgot to add, have fun at the happiest place on earth! I'll be missing you guys and wish I was there! Love you, travel safe!

Michelle said...

You probably won't even read this until after you get back. I am glad that the derby went so well! Glader looked awesome, I wish I could have seen the race. But the action picture was pretty cool. I am definitely going to miss you guys! It will be weird having you gone a whole week! I will be so lonely. Anyways you will have a blast I love you!

sasmithfam said...

Oh I can't wait for these to start. Braeden turns 8 next week. Crazy, he will be in Scouts and all. How exciting that you are going to Disneyland. I love, love that place. Your little Colby is darling and your rhyming was superb. Quite impressive! BTW, thanks for the sweet comments that you always seem to leave. You're great!!

Owen Family said...

Awesome car! I must admit, I don't miss cub scout days, and especially the pinewood derby.

Lindsay Jones said...

We are hoping to someday know what pinewood derbies are all about! Looks like fun! Your kids are so cute!

Lucille Jarvis said...

oh, those pinewood derby days, I remember well, I always wondered, who is this for, is it just an excuse for the Dads to show they are really boys ? My boys had it good or bad being their Dad was a shop teacher, oh, the hours Randy spent on those cars...... all in all it was a lot of fun, good memories. By the way tell Kris, I'm impressed, awesome car. Eliza, I love you , you are an amazing person. It was fun to see you the other day, wish we could have had a longer visit. I am praying for your family everyday. Oh, tell Mathew, great job, he is getting old. What a good lookin boy, give all the kids a hug from me, love you, Auntie Lu

Lucille Jarvis said...

oh, those pinewood derby days, I remember well, I always wondered, who is this for, is it just an excuse for the Dads to show they are really boys ? My boys had it good or bad being their Dad was a shop teacher, oh, the hours Randy spent on those cars...... all in all it was a lot of fun, good memories. By the way tell Kris, I'm impressed, awesome car. Eliza, I love you , you are an amazing person. It was fun to see you the other day, wish we could have had a longer visit. I am praying for your family everyday. Oh, tell Mathew, great job, he is getting old. What a good lookin boy, give all the kids a hug from me, love you, Auntie Lu

Joni said...

Cute family! Email me and I'll invite you to my blog... jokrummen@yahoo.com!

Crazymamaof6 said...

that is totally awesome! that is totally original!