Thursday, February 19, 2009

Fortune and My Mom

*Warning: This is a long and depressing post, but I hope you will read and I hope you will comment, even if you are new to my blog, I love comments and any extra love and support right now is much appreciated!
Tonight we had Chinese, courtesy of the in-laws. They were taking care of us, since we need some care right now. Have you ever noticed how most fortunes are not really fortunes at all? My fortune cookie read: "Don't let unexpected situations throw you." Generally, I am not one to put alot of stock into fortune cookies. They are fun to read and they either get a huge eye roll (as in: A huge sum of money is headed your way) or a chuckle from me. But this one on this day has left me pondering and I've had a lot to ponder lately. Like the unexpected brain tumor that my mother was diagnosed with two weeks ago. That news, while completely unsettling, was not entirely upsetting. After hearing the news I thought, "OK, this is good that they have found this now, they will operate and take it out and all will be well again." My mother had been driving and working full time when they discovered the tumor, trust me if you saw her a week ago this news would be SHOCKING. Two days after receiving her diagnosis she is staring death in the face at the ER after a scary incident in the bathroom. They were told that they would be operating within a day or two. We drove to be by her side. How could I not spend some time with my mother knowing that she may not make it? I wasn't trying to be hopeless, I wanted my mom to know how much we love her. She spent a few days in the hospital thinking they were going to operate right away but then they released her to wait a few days for the surgery. I think she came home on Monday night, or was it Tuesday? I can't really remember. Much of the last two weeks is a jumble in my head. The surgery was scheduled for early the next Tuesday morning and so it was. On Tuesday she went into surgery for over 9 hours, it was a long day for everyone waiting... to hear the news. All appeared to be well... as well as you can be after BRAIN SURGERY for crying out loud. The next day she is still groggy but making jokes about brain surgery. Like, just wait until you play Nerts with me without my brain tumor, you better watch out! (Mom stinks at Nerts, but she loves to play) what we would all give to play Nerts with Mom one more time. Then the unexpected. Blood clots. Bad news. More surgery. Another long day. More waiting. And so here we are waiting to see if we will have our mother back. All we can do is wait. I am trying to not let the unexpected throw me but it is hard. Trust me, NO ONE ever thought my father would outlive my healthy, vibrant, happy, loving mother (sorry Dad, this is not to make you feel bad, but with your heart...) and when you have a picture in your mind of how life will go, your children growing up with their grandparents around. My paternal grandmother passed away when I was 11 and it is still the saddest day in my life and I miss her to this day. But I still have a grandmother living and my husband has 3 of his grandparents alive and this is how it is supposed to be with my mother. She is supposed to see my children get married. I am blessed to be one of the older children and so my family is (nearly?) complete. My children know her and they love her. I am not ready for my children to lose one of their grandparents. Ugh, this is a difficult post and I know it is rambling. I wish I could gather my thoughts a little better. But I have been avoiding my blog lately, not really knowing what to say but wanting to say something. Heartache, grief, pain, hope, love, fear, faith, desperation, sadness- these are my emotions right now. Mom, I hope you know how many people are praying for you, how loved you are. You know. I know you know. Be strong and fight for us, and for our children. They need their Grannie.

(*This picture was taken in the children's room at the museum in Idaho Falls and I just wanted to point out the fur vests that the kids are wearing. Can you see the ones on Mom and Dad, they were child sized and so could only go on one arm, but I thought it was so funny how much they were getting into it, also notice the serious faces...they crack me up!)

14 comments:

sasmithfam said...

Eliza, I am sure your heart is very full of lots of emotions right now. I am so sorry to hear about the trials that your family is facing right now. One thing about the blogging world is that it opens you to finding and reading other's plights and empathizing with them. Life is hard to handle sometimes. I truly hope everything works out with your mom and she has a quick recovery. We will keep your family in our prayers.

Tara said...

Eliza, that was a beautiful post. You have me in tears. I love the caption you put at the bottom, I never noticed those vests. Mom and Dad are such dorks! I love your way of putting words, you make it real, but not in a depressing way, just realistic. Mom is so proud of you and I know she cherished your last trip. She loves you and your family so much. After staying the night last night, I can confidently say she is fighting, fighting for all of us. Who knows the outcome, but I do feel at peace. Guess we just need to keep praying.

Tara said...

P.S. Now go post about Disneyland, I am dying to see the pictures.

Alli said...

I hate that this has to happen! I wish I could say something that could make all of you guys feel better. I love all of you guys so much and I know that your mom and dad are so proud of what you have become and love your sweet babies! I know that grandma and my dad are watching over her and I told me dad not to take her yet, she isn't done here. So I think my dad will listen :) Love you keep going strong you guys are such a great example!

Lucille Jarvis said...

Dear sweet Eliza, how hard for you to be there and us here, but how blessed to know the Heavenly father ears our prayers wherever we are. I love you. yesterday was a scary day for all of us. Your Dad was so strong, your siblings are so incredibly awesome. What a great family we have. This morning looks much brighter, this is all in the Lord's hands, I love you Eliza, I feel a peace,we will continue to pray.

Michelle said...

Hi Eliza,
Thanks for this post, you have me in tears too. I am so glad we were able to be with her last week. At the same time I cannot stand not being there now. I keep wondering what she is dreaming about or if maybe she is having a spiritual experience. I miss her. I am glad you are here, I don't know what I would do without you. I love you.
Mich

Logan said...

Eliza, just wanted you to know that we are praying for your mom. I really hope everything turns out well.

P.S. You guys should come over and see the baby sometime. It'd be good to see you.

Tara said...

Hey that picture was taken last time Mom was in Idaho with you guys, I don't know where exactly where, you prob do.

Kara said...

Oh Eliza, I am so sorry for all you have been thru.. you and your family. Know that you and your Mom are in my thoughts and prayers as you wait for more answers. I really enjoyed talking to you tonight, I am so grateful for our friendship.. one that picks up right where we left off every time we talk or write.
Your post was so beautiful. You have a way of really expressing your emotions and NOT sounding depressing actually... like your sister Tara said, it just sounds REAL.. a little humorous, a little lovely, and mostly sad and aching for answers. Hopefully they will come soon.
Thank you for being such a wonderful friend and someone I look to for an example of how to be! I love you!

Owen Family said...

Eliza, this is such a trial but you are in our prayers, as is your mom, of course. We love Kathleen. She is always so upbeat and fun to be around. It's hard to imagine her in the hospital in this situation. We're all being positive about it. She's a fighter. Love ya!

JenJen said...

Eliza, your mom is amazing and there is no doubt in my mind that she is fighting hard, because she is a fighter! I love you and your family I'm so impressed with your strength and am in tears reading your post! We are praying for you and know that your don't have to go thru this alone, you are encircled by many that love you and are here to lift you up in this trial of faith. Love Justin and Jen

Jared Jen said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. She will continually be in our thoughts and prayers as well as your whole family. She is an amazing woman. I wish that I was closer to you to give you a hug and let you know all will be well. Love, Jen

Lindsay and Ron said...

I hope you guys know how much we love you and pray for your whole family...your mom is such an amazing person! My mom and dad are really good about keeping me updated and it sounds like she's definitely fighting and getting a little stronger every day...we will continue to pray! Love you!

Crazymamaof6 said...

OH Eliza! i'm so sorry! this must be so hard for you! oh it brings tears to my eyes to know you are going through this right now.
SO HARD. hugs! what a sweet daughter you are.
i hope she recovers quickly and fully.