Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Funnies

Boy, oh, boy! I won't go into major details but what a day we had at church, I was just glad to get home. The girl who said the closing prayer said something about this being "a day of rest" and I just kind of chuckled in my head. I thought "day of rest, yeah right." After getting five children (including the nursing baby) ready for church and then getting THROUGH the three hours I was exhausted by the time we got home. Throw in teaching in primary (it's a new calling) and I am thinking Monday is my new favorite day of the week. I'm just kidding (well, maybe not really) I actually do love Sundays but man today was just one of those days. I could go on and on about my stressful day, but I'll spare you "most" of the details. Here's a couple of highlights-

This morning as I was getting ready in the bathroom Owen came in to go potty. We happen to be in the middle of a bathroom remodel and Kris just painted the walls last night. Owen took in a deep breath and said, "mmmm, that paint smells good" he sniffs a few times more while I am standing at the mirror thinking "did he just say he likes the smell of fresh paint?" Then he goes on even more, "that smells really, really good." As I was just about to start getting worried I started laughing because I realized I had just put on some sweet pea lotion and I knew he had to be talking about my lotion. I put my arm under his nose and asked him if that was what he was talking about and he said "yeah, that smells good." Whew, I don't have to worry about my five year old hanging out in the bathroom getting high on paint fumes. My nine year old on the other hand...he did tell his father earlier this morning, before I sent my lotion wafting through the air, that he really liked the smell of the paint. Oh, great. But when Kris and I were telling each other about these stories this afternoon it brought back old memories of sniffing rubber cement in grade school, and permanent markers, oh, and I really liked the smell of gasoline when I was a kid. Sheesh, I was a little druggie. They probably ban rubber cement from school these days. I wonder what makes these smells so appealing to kids 'cuz I really don't like the smell of any of these things anymore.

Then I offered my hair brushing skills to Gracie who was struggling with a HUGE tangle (what's new?) to which she exclaimed, "No way, you are the meanest hair brusher ever!" Well, alrighty then. To her credit in the end she did let me brush it and all was right in the tangly world of Gracie's hair.

Later, at church during singing time in the primary room Owen was just really on one. I'm one of his new primary teachers and this was my first Sunday back in Primary. He kept pulling out his imaginary bazooka gun and making the perfect sound effects to go with it (I do believe boys are just automatically born with the ability to do this, I tried my entire childhood to be able to make cool gun noises but to no avail). I kept giving him dirty looks and saying "Owen, no gun noises in church" and "that's not very reverent, put your gun away" before I knew it there were five other little boys wielding their "imaginary" guns. Oh great, I would have been happier not knowing that my child does this during primary. Maybe that's why they called me to be his teacher... Then later I hear him say quite loudly to the boys in the row behind him "yes, you CAN buy stuff on Sunday!" I lean over to him and say "Owen, be quiet." Aye, aye, aye. I knew these days would be coming when I would be wanting to put a filter on my children's mouths! And for the record, it's not like we go shopping every Sunday but I'm not gonna lie and act like it's never happened. Also, he might be thinking about when we travel on Sundays and then it's inevitable.

So just another stress filled er, fun filled Sunday at the Grover's!

5 comments:

Tara said...

You have to know how hard I was laughing at the imaginary guns at church! And then to top it off with the buying stuff of Sunday-got to love it! I am always saying how do moms do it? How do they ever go to church? I can barely handle it with one. What color did you paint the bathroom? How's it all looking? I hope I can come see it when Mich has her baby. Hope you are all doing well. Miss you and love you so much!

Eliza said...

I like OWEN'S fake gun noises!They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BY GRACIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle said...

I love your kids they crack me up. I could definitely hear every word they were saying as you described it. Owen's gun noises really are hilarious and sound so perfect, I was dying laughing when he did them for us. Today Owen came and brought me my package and he was like, "Here you go" and then smiled and blew me a kiss, it was so cute. Sorry it took me forever to post. I am sure once you get the hang of it your Sunday's will go much better.

Grannie Wright said...

Ahhhh. The joy of Sundays. I would give anything to hear Owen's gun noises. I am sure they are the best. Tell Gracie that you and your sisters didn't think much of my tangle-removing skills. Tara especially. I think it gave her the drive to become a stylist. Love you!

sasmithfam said...

I love the story about the noises. Brycen is always making some car, gun, airplane noise that sounds so realistic. I don't remember that much with Braeden. As I read your post, I was totally in sync. Boys are great though. They are definitely made that way. :)