Monday, May 18, 2009

My Oldest Growing Older

As this school year winds down I am realizing how old Matthew is getting. Next year he will be going to the middle school which scares me a little bit. For someone who was in elementary school thru 6th grade I don't really like the idea of middle schools. My little 5th grader is going to be in a school with all those big bad 7th graders, there is such a huge difference between 5th grade and 7th grade! He's going to be getting a locker for crying out loud! Oh well, there's not a lot I can do about it short of homeschooling (not gonna happen) and moving (not in the plans). So I might as well just embrace and accept this new phase of his life and hope for the best.

Last week he (and all the 4th graders in the district) had a concert with the 8th grade chorus class and I was so proud of him, he was so excited for it and he did great! They did it in the high school gym and it was soooo hot. Packing several hundred people in there with no AC was not a good idea, but we enjoyed the concert in spite of that. Matthew's favorite song was a Disney Medley that they did and more specifically the "Bare Necessities" part of the song. I uploaded a few videos, my first time figuring out how to do them on the camera, and I am so happy I figured out how to do it! He's right in the middle, right behind the tall, blond haired boy in the front row.

The Ladies Man before the show

The Overheated Observers






Also, he mowed the lawn for the first time last Saturday and I thought this was a huge milestone in his life. He was so excited to do it and was so proud of himself when it was done.

5 comments:

Owen Family said...

Matthew is growing up. I think you'll find that 5th grade in the middle school isn't as bad as you imagine. At least here in Soda, they keep their lunches separate, etc. and they never even see each other.

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

Wow. What a big kid. It's weird to think he was the first grandbaby! Totally growin up. Isn't he considered a tween? I hear they can be more difficult than teenagers... I love the first picture of him with his mouth open talking away...and don't worry I have the Bare neccessities along with just a spoon full of sugar...going through my head right now. Isn't it funny that he wanted to mow the lawn, keep that going as long as possible. Before you know it you will be sending him off on a mission....

Michelle said...

He is definitely becoming a young man. Sometimes it's like, Whoa Matt you are getting so big and tall and mature. I was thinkin you should have taken a picture of him mowing the lawn and little did I know that you did. I can still see him as a baby in my head just like it was yesterday and it blows my mind. It was so fun to have a little nephew especially because I only had one little sister. I keep forgetting he will be at the middle school next year, that is weird but I am sure that he will love it.

Kara said...

Wow, lots of posts, Eliza! I can't believe Matthew will be in middle school! And I thought 6th grade for middle school was young! Does that mean 8th grade is High School? How is that possible if 9th grade is a freshman? That doesn't make sense. Anyhow, cute pictures and videos of him singing with his classmates!! And wow, he started mowing the lawn already! Maybe we should try that out with Cameron...