Friday, May 1, 2009

It's Getting Hot In Here!

Our cat is in heat, again. Can you hear the sighs of frustration? She is just weird when this happens. I don't ever really remember what our cats were like when this happened while I was growing up but it is seriously driving me crazy. We need to get her fixed but we just haven't done it yet. Hopefully it's not too late. After they get fixed do they stop going into heat? I sure hope so.

The first time it happened was a few weeks ago and the kids were really concerned. She was acting seriously wonky. Making those strange noises and sticking her butt in the air. It's gross I know, I've been having to listen to her all the time. The kids kept asking me what was wrong with her. Matthew was especially concerned. This cat is like his baby, even though it is technically Owen's cat, she really took a liking to Matthew and he to her. She sleeps by his head every night but when this started up she didn't anymore. He came to me and said "Mom, I think something is wrong with Cookie." Uh-huh, yep, sure is. It's not really something that I wanted to explain but it was kind of hard to avoid with her acting so out of sorts. Owen was also concerned, "Mom, I think Cookie is sick." I said, "Well... yeah, she's in heat." He said, "Oh, yep she does have a fever." (As he feels her forehead and I laugh to myself.) I finally told Matthew that she was in heat and that meant that she was maturing, growing up, turning into an adult. What else could I say? He responded, "I sure hope she gets over it soon. I want the old Cookie back." Me too, Buddy. Me too.

Maybe, in a year or two, when we need to have the "birds and the bees" talk with him this experience will come in handy. Remember when Cookie was in heat...ahhhhhh I don't even want to think about these things!!!

6 comments:

L Stone said...

ha! I love the way that you write :) I'm pretty sure that once they are fixed no more crazies!

-Loretta

Tara said...

Yikes! Get that cat some action! I love how Owen thought Cookie had a fever! Good thing you blogged that so he will never be able to forget it!

Michelle said...

Kids say the funniest things. I sure hate it too. We have been putting snicker in the baby's room at night or else she wakes us up it sucks so bad. We are totally planning on getting her spaid soon. Dan said she will never go in heat again. It definitely sounds like a very important investment to me.

Crazymamaof6 said...

that is darn funny. not funny ha ha, but funny weird. and you made it funny with your rad writing skills.
totally get it fixed before you have to deal with kittens.

my kids told me the other day, 'yeah mom we are gonna have puppies again July 28th!" me,"really?? how do you know that? we saw them stuck together in the back yard." then they did the math for the gestation period. and whahlah!puppies!

Aliece said...

Oh please don't have kittens or my kids will want to bring one or two home! Birds and bees in a couple of years? It may be sooner than you think with the way the world is so fast. Let me know how that one goes! Oh I dread the day...

Kara said...

Get her fixed already! I'm one to talk, our cat sprayed all over our house (boys suck too) and I still did nothing. Good thing he ran away!
So no birds and bees talk with Matthew yet? We had the talk with Cam a few months ago... it went better than I thought (well, Chris had the talk with him, then we both had the follow up questions, and Cam cracked me up!! We were all laughing at the end of the night!)