Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Muddy Buddies

A few weeks ago we had a truckload of dirt dumped in our backyard to spread out in our garden and some parts of the front yard. The kids thought they were in heaven. So they have been playing on the dirt hill for several days and a couple of days ago I noticed that they had been digging a hole in it, kind of like a volcano. And apparently someone thought it would be fun to fill that volcano with lava (water). The kids had a hey day playing in that mud, we even had some neighbor kids over, hopefully their parents weren't too upset. I tried to be the cool mom and let them have their fun, but when it was time to come in I would not allow them in the house before they were hosed off. Mind you, it was still only about 60-65 degrees outside, sorta warm for us unless you are being hosed off with 50 degree water. Needless to say the kids were screaming and not very happy with me at all and I just tried to tell them this is what happens when we play in the mud. Then I had to deal with all that laundry and cleaning the bathroom after their showers, so not fun. The next day they did it again. I was so not happy. And neither were they, when it came time to getting hosed off. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was beating Gracie as loud as she was screaming. And this time I made them take off their clothes before they ran in the house. Considering the fact that our backyard is in full view of several neighbors they were mortified (even though I'm pretty sure nobody saw anything and they still had their underwear on anyway). So their mud fun has come to an end (Dad has banned them from taking the hose out to the dirt pile) and I don't have to deal with all of that crud anymore. Unless one of them decides to take his life into his own hands and tries to sneak the hose out there.

Sticky, icky, ooey, gooey mud

They have died and gone to mud heaven.

Matthew's pants were slipping off because they were so
heavy with mud and I couldn't help laughing at him.
But he is very modest and he did NOT
want me to take this picture, I couldn't resist.
Owen covered from head to toe.

5 comments:

Owen Family said...

I can't believe they went back for a second try after being hosed off. At least its a memory they will always remember and talk about.

Tara said...

That looks like kid heaven. Good thing you were a cool mom, and have the pictures to prove it. Too funny. Something about mud is very soothing. These pics remind me of when we would play in the irrigation, some of my fondest memories!

Kara said...

Omg, that is a lot of mud!! I pictured that mudpile much smaller. I'm sure they were loving it. Maybe you should let them play in it more, I've heard mud is great for your complexion.

Daniel and Mary said...

Kalissa was covered too. I hosed her down in the front yard too (which she was upset about and kept running away from me)and made her dress down to her skivies before coming in the house. But she loved playing in it.

It is amazing how much fun simple dirt and mud can be.

sasmithfam said...

Mud!! What fun!! A kid's dream!! It is kindof simple sometimes what kinds of things can entertain kids for hours. The hard part is when the parents have to clean up or take care of the messes created by the kiddos. Good thing they are so adorable!