Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween Sneak Peek!

The kids had their school Halloween Carnival on Friday night so I thought I would post a few pics of them in their costumes. This year in an effort to save money and be a little more creative I lobbied hard for them to dress up as something that we either already had at home or that we could easily make. This was hard for them to swallow, something about the consumer generation makes it hard to process homemade. They didn't believe me that as a kid in my family we made the most fun costumes ever, I can't really remember EVER buying one at the store and I don't think I ever wanted to. It was probably because of our mom and her love for dressing up and her creativity that gave us so much excitement and anticipation for coming up with our own costumes and dressing up on Halloween. Some of my favorite costumes that I can remember coming up with- a cowboy (ok, so I don't really remember this one because I was like two years old but I have seen pictures and they are great, I wore real cowboy boots and jeans and a cute little red western shirt and of course a cowboy hat, my parents even drew a stubbly beard and mustache on my face), a witch, a mummy, a rock star, an old lady, a gypsy, and a homeless person (OK, admittedly this sounds a little insensitive but at the time I thought it was very funny. Somehow, somewhere my dad found a grocery cart (no he didn't steal it from a store) and brought it home and it was just in our back yard so I filled it with bags and literally pushed this thing around the neighborhood while trick or treating!) I have great memories of Halloween because of the fun we had dressing up, and I love seeing how much fun it is for my kids. What are some of your favorite Halloween costumes and memories?

Kris' mom is gonna kill me if she finds out about this but it's the only picture with Rex in his pumpkin suit, for some reason he did not want to keep it on. And there's our little Indiana Jones (don't call him Owen when he's wearing this) A big shout out to Aunt Michelle for finding the leather belts and side bag (yes, Indiana has one of these in every single picture we could find of him) at the local DI, lately becoming my favorite place to shop.

And here's our creepy zombie (really getting into character, go Matthew), fresh out of the grave (Kris really made him go outside and roll around in the dirt) and right after feasting on some brains (gross, I know, but zombies gotta eat, right?)

Here's our little surgeon, Gracie. Thanks to Aunt Hayley for working at a medical supply shop we were able to get a REAL stethoscope, hat, booties, syringe, gloves, and mask for about eight bucks. And Gracie had the brilliant idea of covering herself with fake blood (surgery gone awry), we didn't do this for the carnival but we will for the BIG night, tune in later for pics.

And our cute little Casper, his is the one costume I splurged on. I couldn't pass up the adorable ghost onesie and then I had to find a white hat and pants to go with it. Total $13.00.

6 comments:

Tara said...

So, so, sooo cute! Oh my gosh absolutely adorable. The funny thing always is, that the homemade costumes turn out so much better. They all look exsctly like they are suppose to. Guess I really do have to thank mom for my love of Halloween. I NEVER remember wanting to buy a costume. Your bag lady really was the best so funny. I can't really remember any of my funny ones, though. Rich lady, hippie, dancers, and ? Maybe Mich and Brit can help me remember. So anyway, glad you are carrying on her enthusiasm. Just one question is Kris doing anything this year? Not even a face painting?...

Eliza said...

Oh, Kris will definitely do something this year, he always does, wears it to work and everything. He always gets into it. I know he was either thinking pregnant lady (because of his gut) or zombie like Matthew so we'll see when the big day comes.

Michelle said...

Ok so I loved this post! The kids look great, and thanks for the shout out! Man that Halloween carnival was nutso. Anyway I am having a hard time coming up with my halloween costumes, I remember the bubble gum machine one you made me, and being an old lady, I rememeber Tara doing the 80's....Where is my head?

Tara said...

Oh, that will be soo funny! Can't wait to see the pics. I love a man who gets into the spirit!

Grannie Wright said...

Who knew all my kids would grow up loving Halloween so much! How terrific that you are carrying on the tradition. They all look great. I can't wait to see the pictures from the actual night. Love you all.

Eliza said...

I LOVE HALLOWEEN !!!!!!!!! it is fun dressing up for halloween. by gracie