Friday, March 12, 2010

We Be Los!

I don't really have any qualms about hiding my slight lack of enthusiasm for all things scouting but alas, I have been blessed with four sons and so it is my destiny to endure many, many years of the fine scouting program. And trust me, I do believe it is a fine program. Teaching many valuable things to my young sons. It's just so much work and I'm kind of lazy, I guess. It's sure a good thing my boys have been blessed with a good daddy who is willing to help them with all their scouting needs. (It's good for him!) Needless to say in spite of my obvious complaining about scouts I was seriously distressed last week when I found out that Matthew would be receiving his Webelos award along with about a million pins and it just so happened to fall on the same night at the same time as the very first stake camp meeting. Since I happen to be the Ward Camp Director and have absolutely no clue as to what I'm doing I felt like it was kinda imperative that I attend. I had known about the camp meeting for about a month, I found out about the pack night and all the awards Matthew would be receiving only 3 days before. I was frustrated with my dilemma. I don't want to have to choose between my child (and dang it! I wanted to be there for him to put on my mother's pin!) and my church calling. I seriously wanted to cry and I may have shed a few tears along the way. I was going to try and just attend part of the meeting that was hopefully only going to last 45 minutes (yeah right it was almost 2 hours) and zoom over to where pack meeting was being held and arrive just in time for the pinning but alas, it was not to be and so Dad had to fill in for Mom (and wrangle all the kids), he got my pin and the joy of being there to share in Matthew's glory. Which I suppose since he was the one who did all the assisting in the earning of the award is appropriate. I'm still bummed I missed it! But, way to go Matthew! I'm so proud of you for working so hard!

Proud Father and Son
She really isn't taller than him (yet!)
The pinning of the mother's pin on the father...sniff.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Way to go Matt! That is so awesome. I am so glad that he enjoys scouts so much and that Kris helps him out. Too bad you missed it. Oh well. Life goes on I guess. I loved the pics they are too cute. I am sure you were there in spirit.

Grannie Wright said...

What a great job Matthew! I am thankful for Kris too. Eliza try not to feel too bad. You did the best you could in effort. I'm glad I got to see the pictures anyway.Sure love you guys and miss you!!!!