Monday, January 4, 2010

And the Band Played On!

A few weeks before Christmas Matthew had his first band concert. He plays the clarinet, I'm pretty sure he picked it because that's what I played in 5th grade and he wanted to impress me or be like me or something along those lines. Anyway, I thought it was really sweet and I'm really very flattered. His first concert was great, although the band was HUGE (that's what happens when you have a middle school) and the gym was PACKED, and we got there 15 minutes early. I kid you not we sat on TOP of a lunch table way in the back corner (I was really tempted to stand on it). Apparently you had to camp out the night before to get a good seat. It took us about half of the concert to actually locate Matthew and even then we could only see the top of his head, but that's ok because we could hear him and that's all that really matters at a band concert, right? They played all the classics- Hot Cross Buns, Mary Had a Little Lamb, and Good King Wenceslaus. They topped off the night with a stirring rendition of Jingle Bells. You can't really see him in the video but you can see the top of his head- it's right in the middle of the screen, next to the very blond haired boy and right behind the girl with long brown hair, you kind of have to look closely. He did a great job and I was quite impressed with how well they played and Matthew promised me he was not one of the ones squeaking. He does have very good tone, I can vouch for that. I'm so proud of him and I hope he continues to love it and never wants to quit! (That was for you, Dad :)

Here he is coming in to take his seat. This was the only photo I got of him where you can actually see him (lame, I know) but by the time the concert was over and we made our way to the band room to pick him up he had already put away his clarinet. This picture was taken from very far away (we were in the WAY back, remember) thus the poor quality, but doesn't he look handsome?



5 comments:

Tara said...

Aww, this is really sweet. I can't believe he is in middle school. So crazy. He does look handsome walking out. I can't believe it was that crowded. At least we know there is parental support at that school, right? Oh and how I love the classics. Hot cross buns is my fave. So does Matthew actually practive then? Since he does not squeak? That is impressive that he is not squeaky. Well, hope you have a great day. Love and miss all of you!

Grannie Wright said...

I have never ridden in a one horse open sleigh, but I sure do after hearing that song. Matthew you are getting too old. slow down for me will you? I sure love you guys. Miss ya too.

Michelle said...

I am glad you posted this since I was not there and all. I enjoyed listening to the great rendition of jingle bells, it made me smile. That will be cool for Matthew to have when he is older too. He looked very handsome. I can't believe how much he has grown up in this past little while. Too bad he forgot his clarinet over the break it would have been cool to hear him play something on New Years or Christmas. Love ya!

Grannie Wright said...

I couldn't help it I had to leave another post. I found his an yes the music is the best. I love it. Dad will hear it later. LOL

Kara said...

Wow, they do sound pretty good. How sad that you had to sit so far away! But how great that Matthew gets to be in band. Cameron was very close to deciding on band but at the last minute, he bombed out. I don't know if he's too cool or what. oh and he told us he wants contacts cuz "glasses and long hair just don't go together." I need to post a more recent pic of him on our blog.. which by the way, are you ever gonn come visit my blog? It misses you and your sweet comments. ;o)