Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Salt Lake City Lights!

The day after Christmas we had the opportunity to go to Salt Lake City with Kris' side of the family to see the Christmas lights at Temple Square. Here's the crew-

It was cold and it had been a long day and Colby was not happy about it!




The next day we went to the Church History Museum and right in the front they had a display of nativities from all over the world. This one is from Sweden so we took some pics for my dad, who served a mission there. It was a very large nativity and quite interesting, I thought he might enjoy these...


Funny wisemen



We got to see and do so many interesting things- the kids colored a "paper" stained glass of the First Vision, they each folded and cut a little mini first 16 pages of the Book of Mormon just like they did when it was first printed. We saw the actual printing press that printed the first Book of Mormon and learned how they did it (and how time consuming it was!), saw a letter written by Joseph Smith, saw a page of the actual translation of the Book of Mormon, viewed the death masks of Joseph and Hyrum, and so much more!
Then we made our way to the Children's Room at the museum, the kids had tons of fun in here!




I didn't take any pictures of it but they had this bean bag toss game that had holes labeled Telestial on the bottom, Terrestrial in the middle and Celestial on the top. The kids had fun playing that and I thought it was hilarious! They all got it into the top (by any means necessary;)...
Then we ended the day with a tour of the Beehive House (of course!) since we love that place!
Then it was time to head for home. It was a quick trip but we so enjoyed our little getaway to Salt Lake!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

What a fun trip! I am glad that you guys got to go! I think it will be a very memorable experience for your whole family! Maybe not the Colbster though, ha ha.

Tara said...

Wow, that is really cool. I did not know you guys went to Salt Lake. How fun! I love the museums. {and the fact they are free doesn't hurt either...} Dad would certainly appreciate those Swedish scenes. The other day on House Hunters they were in Stockholm, and I called Mom to tell Dad, you know how he likes to stay up late watching t.v. Not sure if he saw it though.

Anyway, glad you did take pictures. You'll all remember this trip forever! What great memeories!

Daniel and Mary said...

Looks like you guys had lots of fun! My girls LOVE the church museum. We went down to my parents house in SL on the 26th too. We had plans of going downtown but it was too cold for us.

Kara said...

We love doing all those things in Salt Lake too! We are going in July for fam vacation, yay! I didn't see that bean bag toss, that is hilarious!! We love that kids section of the museum too. I love that the kids love doing all that spiritual stuff.
The lights were so beautiful! How great to travel down there with all Kris's fam. You've sure been busy!!

sasmithfam said...

How fun!! It took me a minute to realize that you had to travel a little bit because you LIVE in Idaho and NOT in Utah. :) How far away is it? The lights are beautiful and super fun you went with family. I am not sure if we have been to that museum or not. And Kara, great idea that you are going in July, I have seen pictures and there is a lot of snow. Snow and me don't mix. :)

Grannie Wright said...

What a blast! I am sorry that I didn't leave a comment. I think i was having some computer problems.
Things were beautiful. So glad you got to go. We really miss you guys!
Love you.

boyet said...

I find this information very useful. Great work! Thank you for sharing a lot helpful articles. I also wanna share this christmas lights that we have. This would surely be of great help to you.