Thursday, December 11, 2008

Uh-oh I think we have a thumbsucker on our hands! (not to be confused with bloodsucker ;-) also a Colby Update!

So our little Colbster man has taken a liking to his thumbs (I catch him sucking on both of them, I guess he just picks whichever one is convenient). I'm not sure what I think about this development. On the one hand I think it's absolutely adorable, I myself was a thumb sucker so it can't be all bad, right? And it's just so darn cute when he does it cuz he's so little and it's just cute, ya know? But I'm worried about down the road when it's not so cute, like when he's eight. We've tried to give him pacifiers but he just doesn't seem interested in them. It's like we're forcing some foreign object into his mouth and he tries to wiggle and squirm away from it but eventually has to give in because we're holding it in there. I have a friend whose daughter started to suck her thumb and she would pop in a pacifier every time because she did not want to have a thumb sucker. A pacifier you can take away, a thumb not so much. So I'm not sure what to think about the whole situation. I probably won't do anything except hope that he doesn't suck his thumb until he's 12 years old! Ugh, I can just see myself putting that nasty tasting fingernail polish on his thumb in a few years in a feeble attempt to get him to stop just like my parents did to me!


Now for his update: I intended to post a little update on Colby every month and since I'm a little behind on my blogging and we were in AZ when he turned 3 months old I'll just do it now. Colby spent his third month of life mostly just sittin around not doing much. (Besides looking really cute kickin' it in his bouncy chair.) He did start to enjoy his baths more, thank goodness because I was getting a little worried. And he had a few nights where he slept eight hours. He also had some big firsts this month: his first trip to Arizona, his first trip to Pete's, his first time meeting all his cousins and most of his aunts and uncles, his first Thanksgiving, and his first trip to Gecko Grill, and his first trip to see the lights at the Mesa Temple. So you can see it was a big month for him, and it's a good thing he's such a good baby because he handled all the excitement so well!

3 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, he is so cute! I love our little brown eyed boy, he's going to be such a little heart-breaker. I wouldn't worry to much about the thumb sucking, at least he will be able to self soothe. And, it's just too darn cute to stop!

Kara said...

whew! Good thing he's not a blood sucker!
Mia is a thumb sucker, too! The first of all my kids to suck her thumb ALL the time! Only her left one though. I love it because I can put her in her bed, give her her blankie, and shes sucks her thumb and falls right to sleep. I love it. I hope it doesn't last forever, but I think it is soooo cute!! Even when I give her her blankie outside of her crib, she grabs it and sucks her thumb, it cracks me up. I tried pacifiers, too, but she hated ALL of them.
I think Colby is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen! I just love to see pictures of him. He's such a little doll. i like his baby's thanksgiving shirt. Nice.
Hey, its ok that you didn't see us while you were here, I figured you would be pretty busy! We were too. I was supposed to do something with my cousin that was here from UT, but that didn't happen, you just get busy with your own fam, you know? Anyhow, let me know when you will be here and if you guys will have some free time, and we can figure somethin out! :)

Grannie Wright said...

I didn't scroll down far enough the last time I read the blog. Oh well. Here I am now grateful that we got to share all those wonderful firsts with our little Colby. What a sweetheart! You quit sucking your thumb when you were about four. Cause you were gonna show your dad that when you said you were gonna do something you actually did it! So don't worry Colby has that in his blood.