Monday, December 15, 2008

Sisters


The other day we decided to do a little rearranging. First, we did our bedroom, then we moved on to the kids' rooms. We decided to put Rex in with the big boys downstairs and then move Gracie into Rex' old room and turn her old room into an office/playroom. Eventually, (like hopefully tomorrow) we will move Colby to the crib in Gracie's room and out of our bedroom. Why I got this whim at this time of the year I will never know because it obviously involves a lot of cleaning out closets and such. But since I had Kris on board and he was enthusiastic about the whole thing we just went for it. Unfortunately, my home has looked like a bomb went off for the last week or two, oh well.


One of the things that has surfaced in the midst of all this is the box of Gracie's old clothes. I pulled it out of the top of her closet on Saturday and was hit with a wave of sadness. I sighed and Kris looked at me and said "you might as well just get rid of it all." I don't think he was trying to be insensitive, he's just a guy- old hand-me-down clothes just don't really mean anything to them. But to a mother- one who has hoped to be able to pull down the box of girl-hand-me-downs and adorn another daughter with some of their super cute goodness- it was like a kick in the gut. For one thing- this box holds all of the memories of my first daughter wearing all of these clothes. And for another thing- this box holds all of the hopes that I had of having another daughter, a sister for my first one. It is almost inconceivable for me to think that my daughter may never have a sister. I have always had sisters, I have four of them, and I can't really imagine life without them. They are my best friends (and I know this is all sounding so cliche') but it's true. It's hard for me to imagine my daughter not having any sisters and I'm so sad for her. Of course, she doesn't know any different, all she knows is that she has lots of brothers. And it's not all bad being the only girl- being spoiled rotten, having your own room, no hand-me-downs :-), etc... I know several women who were only girls and they loved it- my mother-in-law, and two of my best friends- are among them. I'm the one that needs to let go (Michelle's post has me pondering this). So I am going through Gracie's old clothes, hard as it may be for me, to let them go. And I found someone at church with two young daughters who can really use them and is so grateful for them so this is making the process a little easier for me.


Who knows if we will have another girl. We may or may not have any more children, never say never. But at this point Gracie would be at least 9 or 10 years older than that future sister and what is the point of me holding onto all these clothes. So that I can drag them out and realize how cute but outdated they are? No thanks. Besides it'll be loads of fun to get all new stuff if we ever do have another girl. And all these clothes that we have can go on and bless somebody else. I'm just so glad that Gracie has girl cousins. When she and Audrey get together it's like they were never apart, they pick up right where they left off and are best cousin buddies. I hope it will always be this way. She also loves her younger girl cousins Macie and Scarlett, too and I know they will all be great friends. These Wright girl cousins have to stick together cuz they are seriously outnumbered right now (9-4). And let's face it- someday she will have sisters, sisters-in-law! And I love my sisters-in-law just as much as my sisters, it's like they were always meant to be my sisters and so I hope for the same for Gracie- may she have wonderful sisters-in-law!



Gracie and cousin Audrey

*NOTE: Sister-in-law Emilie is missing in the above sister picture and we were very sad about this.

7 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, that was a tough post to read without tearing up. I am feeling a little emotional right now. OH, it's so hard the whole no sister thing. Gee, I can't imagine life without you guys, just like you said. With you and Aliece only having one girl, I worry Scarlet is my only one, too. So, this is a good reminder of taking advantage of the girl stuff, which I definitely do, I think you know. Anyway, now that you have finally "let go" of all the girl stuff you will probably get a girl now. Ha. Isn't that the way life works? Love ya miss you.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the post Eliza, I feel emotional too, but I feel like that all the time lately...haha. Well, I have been thinking alot about sisters lately and brothers. I am sure Dan would have a really hard time imagining life without his brothers, they have so much fun together and I like to hear them talk on the phone, what a bunch of crazies. I think your boys will be like that, they already seem close. Plus it is fun to see how different they all are and how special they all are and how you have a special bond with each one of them. You may or may not have another girl, but if you don't, you will have such a strong girl bond with Gracie. Dan's mom is SO close to his sister, it's pretty amazing. Well, I am grateful for you and for all of my sisters, I guess we should consider ourselves really lucky.

Kris said...

As the first born in a family of two only children my point of reference is obviously skewed, but I appreciate how much you love your sisters, what a don't get is the far lesser degree you love your brothers. HAHAHA just kidding. Tara has hit the nail on the head with her praise of your writing abilities. You really amaze me, after all these years I never have seen these skills beyond your magnificent proof reading abilities!

Jared Jen said...

Thank goodness for really good girlfriends/girl cousins or life would be really miserable growning up the only girl.

Alli said...

I haven't commented on your blog in forever and I just wanted to tell you that your kids crack me up!! I just love them they are so funny and so smart!

Kara said...

I feel for ya Gracie, I feel for ya.
But I definitely agree with the girl cousin thing, I didn't have that growing up, and how I wish I had! I am really close with a lot of my sisters in law, too, and it definitely makes up for not having sisters OR close girl cousins. And you never know what the future holds. Your boys sure are lucky! How fun to have so many brothers. I sure wish Cam and Isaac had more than just "a brother," but I don't see another boy coming to our family in the near future!
I think you did the right thing with the clothes, too... a lot of Maddy's old stuff is WAY out dated for Mia, I think she's maybe worn 2 or 3 of her outfits at most...?

Grannie Wright said...

Its funny all your dad ever had was sisters. Me, I had an even split. When we think of all you girls growing up, we remember the pms, makeup, nail polish, baking, proms, girls camp, sleep overs (those are definitely misnamed) and more pms...but we wouldn't trade it for anything!