Monday, November 10, 2008

Owen Turns 5!

Owen turned five yesterday, our cute little, sweet little Owen bobowen (as I like to call him). He has many nicknames- just plain O, Obi Wan and Obo Fett (he is a major Star Wars fan and if you are too then you will recognize these ones), Obee Doebee, O-meister, any of these will do. I've gone into a little mourning. My little boy is growing up. I used to ask him all the time, "Owen, will you please, please stop growing up? I want you to stay my little boy forever." He would tell me "no, I can't stop, I just can't." On Saturday Michelle said to him "Owen, I can't believe you are going to be five. I can't believe how big you are getting!" And he told her "what, it's not like I'm going to be any bigger tomorrow!" And it's true he's not any bigger today but five is older and it means that he'll be going to school soon, even though it's still 9 months away I'm already dreading the day. He is my little sweetheart, from the moment he was born I knew he was special (well, they all are but Owen was different somehow). Even as a baby he seemed especially thoughtful. He always asks me the deep questions and seems to ponder certain things. One of my favorite Owen quotes came when he was three years old and he was talking to his Grannie, he told her "You are the mom of my mom and my mom is the mom of me." He has always been fascinated by relationships and how people are related. When Michelle first came to live with us he would tell her that she was not supposed to be living with us, that she was supposed to be living with Grannie. This would hurt her feelings and I would just tell her to not feel bad because in his mind children are supposed to live with their mommies. He is always telling me that Grannie does it this way and Grannie does it that way. He sure loves his Grannie. My other all time favorite quote from Owen came one day when we were eating scrambled eggs and he was not touching his, which was unusual so I asked him "Owen, why aren't you eating your eggs, I thought you liked eggs?" to which he replied, "I do like eggs- in peanut butter cookies." Smarty pants. So here's a few pics of Owen with a few of his favorite things:This is Owen with Blackie and Brownie, his two best pals. Blackie is the favored pup and has been on many an adventure with Owen. We have spent many nights scouring the house and car in search of these dogs so that Owen could get a peaceful night's rest. Once Blackie got lost somewhere in the mall and we had to go back the next day. We searched every single washer and dryer in Sears before heading to the mall office where thankfully someone had brought him.
If you know Owen then you know about his blankie that he has had since birth. This poor thing has lived through everything. Even being lost in Mervyn's one time. The last few years my mother had taken to referring to it as "the rag" as it was literally reduced to strings barely hanging together. He has just this past year started to grow out of needing it with him at all times, so now it is being held by me for safe keeping. I love that he is so attached to things that mean a lot to him. He loves deeply.
Now Owen has grown attached to his baby brother, Colby. He sings to him when he is crying and asks to hold him all the time. What a sweet big brother.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Owen. We were waiting to ride Pirates at Disneyland. He LOVES Disneyland and has always lamented the rides he has not been tall enough to ride on. He cried and cried when Dad, Matthew and Gracie got to ride Splash Mountain and all he got to do was ride Pooh ten times while we waited. Broke my heart. He is anxiously looking forward to the day when he will be tall enough to ride Indiana Jones (please, oh, please let that be by the next time we go to Disneyland).
Owen came up with this idea for his birthday cake. We had just made homemade pizza on Friday and he told me he wanted a cake with pepperonis in a smiley face on it. So we came up with this idea- a white cake with vanilla frosting, toasted coconut dyed orange, and red frosting pepperonis. We had to scrape off the coconut for him to eat it, but all in all, I think it turned out pretty cute!
This is going to be a big year for you, Buddy! I'll try and look forward to it :-(

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Yeah for Owen, he is the sweetest boy ever. I am glad I could be there on Sunday to share his special day. It is funny because sometimes I feel like I can carry on an adult conversation with him. And I am glad he willingly gives hugs and kisses still. You can definitely tell he is very special and thoughtful, even when he was a baby I remember talking about how pensive he always looked.

Owen Family said...

Your kids are getting so big. Owen is so cute and your cake is adorable. I thought is was a real pizza.

Kara said...

Happy Birthday, Owen! That first picture is just how I remember him! Little sweet 2 year old.... or maybe 1 year old?? What a handsome little boy and now big boy he has grown into! I was just reading your comments on Ava's post about the 2 of them getting married. :o) Lets arrange it. They would have such cute babies, wouldn't they?

Kara said...

oh I was going to say, Owen sounds a lot like Isaac.. all the questions! I love Isaac's questions and comments... I need to write them down! I love that Owen has blackie and Brownie and his blankie... what a sweet little boy. He like an old soul, full of knowledge and understanding that he can't yet express.... :o)

Grannie Wright said...

I am thankful for this blog. Owen I love you and wish that I could have been there. I loved your cake. I bet it tasted so good, but i wouldn't have scraped off the coconut (yummy!) Love you Grannie