Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hiya Love

(celebrating our first anniversary in Sedona, AZ)

Today it's been 13 years since Kris and I were married in the Mesa Arizona Temple. In the process of cleaning out and packing I stumbled across some photos of our first anniversary and it has flooded my mind and heart with so many memories. We were oh so young (and skinny) and in love way back then. Seeing these pictures made me want to go and read some of the letters from our courtship. We had a (mostly) long distance dating relationship. We met on a blind date arranged by his aunt and Kris was only in town for Christmas. The connection was instant, love at first sight you might say, we hit it off, all those cliche terms could apply. We went out a few more times while he was in Arizona and when he left he promised to write. I still remember the anticipation of waiting for his first letter to arrive. I think we both knew where this was headed, he even alluded to getting engaged in his first letter and we had not even kissed at this point. We wrote many letters and spent many hours on the phone, much to the chagrin of my father as this was back in the day before every person on earth owned a cell phone (gasp! I'm soooo old!) We used prepaid calling cards to minimize the damage. I cherish the letters I have, actual concrete evidence of us confessing our undying love for each other. He is a beautiful writer, talented to be sure. Here's a poem he wrote for me about our wedding day.
Our life has brought many challenges, ups and downs and yet here we are thirteen years, 8 moves (almost), 5 children, countless arguments, just as many makeups, and I still feel like we are just in the beginning stages of a lifetime full of wonderful memories. Our love continues to grow, to deepen with time and experience. No, it is not the young love of thirteen years ago it is something much, much more. I love you, Honey! Happy Anniversary!

9 comments:

Owen Family said...

Happy Anniversary! 13 is such a good number. Time has really flown by.

L Stone said...

Happy Anniversary!! You look so cute in your picture! :)

-Loretta

Tara said...

I really like this post. I remember you guys falling in love pretty vividly. I remember the excitement, and I really remember your fun wedding. You guys have a lot of passion for each other and I am glad to see you happy together after 5 kids, 8 moves, and 13 years. You are a great example to me and Wes.

Jamie said...

How sweet is that!?! Happy anniversary!

Kindra said...

Wow 13 years thats so great! I have been thinking back to our begining stages lately. (I think because Breanna is close to being engaged.) Its interesting how then you think that your love is so strong but if you give it few years and a couple kids its really amazing and wonderful to see how a relationship can grow and evolve.

p.s. I haven't had a computer for a while so I just barely read about all the baptism fun. I wish we could have been there. Tell Gracie we love her and Macie loved looking at all the pictures. I am so glad that she has so many cousins to look up to.
Love to you all!

Lindsay and Ron said...

Congrats! I actually remember going to your wedding...I would have been 11 or 12, but I remember thinking how lucky you were and how I couldn't wait until it was my turn! You guys are still super cute together!

Kara said...

how sweet!! i love the picture, you are both so adorable.

Kara said...

that poem was beautiful. funny thing is, i commented on it back in feb, when kris posted it. i don't even remember reading it before!! but i loved it.

Grannie Wright said...

Well Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so glad that this is moving right along. Also glad that Miche and Dan could babysit for you. That picture from your first at Sedona brings back tons of memories for me too. Love and miss you.