Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Long and The Short of It

So, here's the deal- I am a short haired person. I have always been a short haired person. It's part of my identity. As a child my mother cut my hair short. I'm not sure why she chose me to be the short haired girl, to my recollection all four of my sisters usually had long hair. Maybe it was because I was a tomboy and I asked her to do it, I can't really remember. But that's just the way it always was. Even in junior high and high school, where at some point my dad suggested I grow my hair out because boys like long hair and I would date more if I grew mine out, I defiantly left it short. If boys didn't like me because I had short hair then they weren't worth my time. I wasn't going to change something that I felt was so ingrained in my identity just to catch the eye of a boy. And when I finally did meet my husband, he loved my short hair (he had a huge crush on Meg Ryan when her hair was super short) and he loved me for me.

Even when I have had long hair I still felt like a short haired person on the inside. For the past three or so years I have had long-ish hair, the longest my hair has ever been. I tried really, really hard to be a long haired person, but I never felt like it fit me. My husband admitted he liked my hair long and I let it grow for years. I only got it trimmed when I got my hair done, but eventually I came to realize that me and long hair are just not meant to be. I once dreamed of long, flowing locks cascading down my back- thick, shiny and smooth. But I was trying to be something, someone I am not. So here's to the new old me, suddenly I feel like myself again! (and my husband loves it!)




14 comments:

Tara said...

I am sooo embarrassed now! Wgat was I thinking? Well all I can say is it was late....I think you look really great! Such a cute with it mom!

Eliza said...

Oh Tara, it was just too funny to pass up! I hope you don't feel too bad.

Jill said...

Eliza!!! Your post is hilarious! cascadding down your back! ahh ahha hah hahha ha aha! I love your new due! I think you look great both ways!

Love ya

Daniel and Mary said...

I love it!!!! Makes me want to chop mine. The problem for me is that I would actually have to do it. You look great both ways!

Michelle said...

It was so weird like the day before you got home I had this random thought, I bet Eliza will come home with chopped hair because she hasn't done anything drastic for awhile. I did like it long but I love the new do it looks great!

Rachelle said...

You know, I always felt the same way about short hair, but my hair is way too thick for it, sadly. Your new hair style looks really good!

mandi said...

love it,you look great and defiantely with it as Tara says

Courtney said...

Kindra told me that you had tara do this while you were here and I was so sad not to see it in person! It looks great!!!

Lucille Jarvis said...

Eliza, you are beautiful with long hair, short hair, what is important is what does Eliza like... What makes you feel goooooood. You are too cute. Love your blogs.

Debbie said...

I like the new do, besides long hair requires more work. Now you have more time to do what you want, right?

Jamie said...

eliza,you are so cute! i love your hair! i love getting hair cuts. i feel so new and fresh. i feel like a new women! i bet you do too! :) its fun! well you'll be ready for the summer now. its a good summer do..

Bre 10-E said...

im glad you put a pic up! i heard about the cut but didnt see you before you left. its way cute!!! i love it!

Kara said...

Love the new/old hair, so you!!

I liked your long hair too :) I think its fun to do long short long short... change it up all the time. Glad you got to come and spend time with your family :)

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome! love a good short cut!
short hair has so much more style!
congrats on feeling like yourself again! YAY! looks great!