Friday, May 21, 2010

Swiper! No Swiping!

The other day we were checking out at the grocery store; which I find is always a challenge with kids- trying to get everything out of the cart, keeping an eye on them, paying, etc. On this particular day Colby was sitting in the cart and I didn't have him buckled in so he was squirming around and reaching for things. When we got up to the checkout counter and put all of our stuff on it I noticed he was grabbing for some of the candy bars they have up on the stand, right in front of the cashier, right within his grasp. He got one and I grabbed it out of his hands, put it back and promptly buckled him in so he couldn't reach them. Or so I thought. He and the cart went on the backside of the cashier while I went on the other side to pay for the groceries. I was watching the screen and paying for everything and then I looked up as the cashier was pulling the cart the rest of the way through and there Colby is holding a mallo bar. He has it open and is shoveling it into his mouth as fast as his little fingers will go. His mouth was stuffed full of chocolate and marshmellow and he had this devious little look in his face like he knew exactly how naughty he was being and that's why he was trying to eat it so fast. That or he was just worried someone would take it away from him so he better eat fast. My mouth dropped open with shock. How did he get it? How did he get it open and have it half eaten so quickly? We really didn't have that many groceries, it hadn't taken us long to check out. I just laughed and so did the cashier. I said, "I guess I need to pay for that." Then the cashier said, "Oh, I wasn't going to worry about it." I think he must have been watching the whole incident from his vantage point. He probably could have seen it all unfold, or unwrap (haha) while I stood on the other side completely oblivious. I argued with him for a moment, I told him it was fine, not a big deal but he just told me not to worry about it. I felt kind of bad leaving without paying for it but maybe they shouldn't put candy right there within swiping range of slippery little fingers! As I pushed the cart out to the car Colby continued to shovel that thing in his mouth, he was so excited nobody had taken it away. Rex, Owen and I laughed the whole way home about how Colby stole a candy bar from the grocery store! Poor Colby, a bonafide shoplifter at the age of one! Little Swiper!

And- on another funny Colby note, he came into the family room wearing this getup. He put it on all by himself, well, everything but the shirt. Oh man, this kid is too funny. I have not had a boy yet who has tried to dress himself before the age of two but this kid likes to do everything on his own- shoes, hats, pants, bracelets, jackets, and now apparently ties. It was so stinkin' cute when he walked (or hopped really since both legs are in the same leg of the shorts) into the room. He was pretty proud of himself.


Prior to putting Rex' shorts on he had taken off his own shorts and his diaper too (he's in that phase of stripping the diaper off) so you can see that he peed in Rex' shorts, but I just had to take a picture before I put a diaper back on him! I just thought I would throw that out there so you weren't like gross it looks like he peed his pants, doesn't she ever put a diaper on that kid!

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Stealing candy bars and peeing in his brother's shorts? I don't know, Eliza, sounds to me like you got a rebel on your hands! Good thing he is so freakin cute!

Michelle said...

Ha Ha this is too funny! What a nice cashier! I can't believe he put the tie and shorts on, he is so smart! It looks like he has gotten a bit taller to me and it the last picture I feel like he looks a little bit older. What a funny kid! He desparately tries to put on Mia's shoes but unfortunately they are just too small dang it!

Tara said...

Oh I loved this post sooo funny! You forgot to add while checking out your little sister calling you 20 times. I do love cashiers like this, they make having kids a bit easier with their kindness.

I can't get over the outfit. I am trying to decide if I am more impressed that he was able to hop with both legs in one pant hole, or that he tied his own tie. It's just too much!!! He and Scarlet could have a future in fashion design.

Kris said...

Can my boy be the token straight guy on Project Runway? Then maybe he can go into business w/Christian and they can have an ebony and ivory moment, or an I like chicks, and I like dudes moment?

Grannie Wright said...

Wow! You have a little Scarlet/Colby on your hands! That cashier was being so nice... I'm glad to see Colby has the dressing up smarts. Besides being a cutie. Sure luv ya and miss ya tons.

Kara said...

I did notice the wet spot on Colby's shorts but I didn't even think about pee... didn't think you don't put diapers on him for sure! He is so cute, I love the Mallow Bar story... sounds so much like Mia! But he is much younger so I am even more impressed! What kids won't do for chocolate!!