Thursday, October 29, 2009

Moving On


Our new (old) house

It's definitely fall here (well really almost winter since we are freezing our butts off!)



Happy Fall Y'all!

This summer Kris' grandparents asked us if we wanted to buy their house. I don't think they really thought we'd take them up on their offer but we felt like the timing was right. We needed more space (read: bathrooms) and they could no longer handle the stairs so we decided to go for it. I have always loved this house and been drawn to it's history. An old home has a way of telling a story and this one is no exception. It was blessed by an apostle who stayed here once. It survived the flood (Kris actually remembers it), and as such contains much groovy 70s remodeling. The move was especially difficult for our grandparents since this is the home where they raised their family. They lived here for over fifty years and the home has been in the family since being built in 1901. I was apprehensive about the whole situation since everyone knows this as their grandparents/parents home and I knew it would be difficult to move on and let it go. I worried that we would never feel like it was "our" home, but as they moved more and more of their things out it became easier for us to envision ourselves living here. I love it here. There are tons of changes I would like to make (and hope to someday) but for now the things I thought would drive me crazy aren't really bothering me. For instance: the kitchen/dining room is smaller than our other one; the curtains are all straight from the 70s; there are eight (yes, eight) different kinds of carpet throughout the house, including in two bathrooms and yes, I have four little boys whose aim is not always spot on, so- ick! (Although, I have decided that vacuuming a bathroom floor is easier than sweeping and mopping.) AND- the first floor carpet is a light pink which is just perfect for grandparents but for a bunch of kids, not so much. Honestly, I am just learning to deal with these things and not complain and it hasn't been bad at all. We are loving our ward, Matthew finally has boys his own age, we love the school, and we are enjoying the extra space and living in the country. And we have a pretty awesome view out our back window! (Don't you think?)


And for a little Halloween fun I thought I would treat you to a poem by our little miss Katie Grace. In her own words (and spelling):

Once there were some vampires who didn't like blood.

They said it tasted like mud.

They drink strawberry smoothies instead.

It's blood they dread.

They opened a strawberry smoothie shop.

It's on top.

I go there sometimes.

I hope this rymes.

Goodbye.

Don't die.

(I saw this poem hanging on the wall outside her classroom while I was waiting for her parent/teacher conference today and just couldn't resist sharing. Luckily, she remembered the whole thing. I wonder what her teacher thought when she read it!?! P.S. She's going to be a vampire for Halloween.)

And, who can resist Halloween underwear? Not me, that's for sure!

10 comments:

Tara said...

Yay!!!! A post finally! The house is looking great, I saw some Halloween decor out there.

Ok, the carpet is kinda funny. I knew there were 7 different kinds, but I guess I forgot they were in the bathroom. Ha!

Katie G's poem is sooo funny! Eliza, that is such a crack up! It really had me laughing.

Love the Halloween underwear! Does it glow in the dark???

Anyway, glad to hear you're liking it there. Can't wait to see the pics from Halloween.

Daniel and Mary said...

It is so fun to see where you guys are! The girls ask about your kids daily and miss them alot.

I loved the poem! Talented/smart girl you have there.

Rachelle said...

I love old houses too. They have so much character. And I love Gracie's poem! What talent!

Michelle said...

Woo Hoo! I was so happy to see that you finally posted too! I am really loving your house. It seems that every time I come over you have gotten more and more settled.

Michelle said...

PS-I love Colby's hat and Rex's underwear!

Grannie Wright said...

This is my second try at leaving a comment.So here goes. EVERYONE knows I love old houses. I have read about the flood. I will never forget the look on Dora's face when I asked her what it was like. Pink carpet is definitely 70's. The view from your window is the best! And talk about a hilarious poem. You tell Katie Grace to keep it up. And tell Rex I can see those underwear jumping off of something. Love you guys so much!

Grannie Wright said...

This is my second try at leaving a comment.So here goes. EVERYONE knows I love old houses. I have read about the flood. I will never forget the look on Dora's face when I asked her what it was like. Pink carpet is definitely 70's. The view from your window is the best! And talk about a hilarious poem. You tell Katie Grace to keep it up. And tell Rex I can see those underwear jumping off of something. Love you guys so much!

Kara said...

omg, I love the last picture of the underwear, that took my by surprise! Super cute!!
Your house looks and sounds great, too, I'm glad you could move into a place that has a lot of meaning for your family.
I love Gracie (sorry, Katie's) poem very cute!

Kara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grannie Wright said...

ineboziWOW! We got one before Halloween. I love old houses. You guys know that already. I read a book on the flood couldn't put it down. Its fun to see Colby in the yard playing even though he can't do it for much longer. Katie Grace's poem is to die for. I loved it!!!!!
Keep up the good work. Oh yea Rex's underwear are so hilarious. I can see them jumping off of stuff in my minds eye. I loved Owen's Count Dracula text. The view out your back window is the best......