Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

I know, I know, you are shocked by my posting again in two days! I just thought I would scare you for Halloween, ha ha. Anyway, since I have been such a slacker where Halloween is concerned (we did not put up any decorations aside from the pumpkins on the front steps and the leaf bag jack-o-lantern, which by the way was given to us already filled up by my mother-in-law) I thought we should go all out yesterday. We started off by going to the Halloween parade at the elmentary school.

We enjoyed especially spooky weather yesterday, it was cloudy, foggy, misty, damp- perfect for Halloween.
Rex made the first snowball of the season.

Katie Grace and Owen were spooky vampires.


Then we carved our pumpkins that we grew in our garden.

The kids all came up with their own designs, did most of the scraping of the guts and
Katie Grace even carved her whole pumpkin all by herself.
Notice her pumpkin is eating it's young, how morbid!
I had to take the picture quick 'cause Owen could barely hold his.

Then we enjoyed Ghost Casserole for dinner.

We got the pumpkin seeds ready for roasting.

Then we had Halloween brownies for dessert!

Hers is a ghost covered with powdered sugar so you can't see the shape very well.

Bat brownie for the little Bat himself.

Owen and Matthew enjoyed black cat brownies
(because those cookie cutters made the biggest brownies).

Kris was awesome and made some orange jack-o-lantern pancakes for breakfast this morning.

And Katie Grace made a pumpkin seed necklace for her puppy.

I think we have redeemed ourselves as far as Halloween goes
and to think we have a night full of festivites to attend to this evening
we are just havin' one rockin' Halloween! Hope you all are too!

(P.S. the idea for the casserole came from People magazine and the pumpkin eating it's young came from Family Fun magazine, the pancakes were our idea but generally I am not that creative all on my own (although Gracie is!)

9 comments:

Rachelle said...

That looks like a lot of fun. We carved our pumpkin yesterday, too (a spooky skeleton peeking through the blinds) but we have zero decorations. We're going out trick-or-treating tonight, but Gwen still has no idea why she's dressed like a cowgirl. Have fun tonight!

Tara said...

Actually you are more creative then you give yourself credit for! You look like Mom of the Year with this post! Seriously soo cool! I laughed pretty hard when you said that LeeAnne {Sp?} gave you that pumpkin bag, already filled up even! Ha! I can't believe you grew those pumpkins in your garden! I might have been a little 'scared' to eat that casserole, though. ;) Katie G is just tooo creative for words. I love the pumpkin seed necklace, and the pumpkin eating his young! Ha! What an imagination! Well, glad to see you taking advantgae of your kid's youth and having fun! Love ya and miss ya guys!

Kara said...

Wow, Eliza, you guys had one fun Halloween!! I love that you carved pumpkins from your garden and I love the casserole, what is it made of exacly? Yummy stuff!

Cute that Gracie and Owen matched, Maddy and Isaac matched too. Isaac was a zombie football player and Maddy was a zombie cheerleader. :)

Grannie Wright said...

WOW! YOU grew your own pumpkins...I'm impressed. What a great carving job. I would like to know what you had for dinner. Was it marshmallow something. The sugar high got started early. Eliza don't sell yourself Short. You are very creative. It's easy to see where Katie Grace got it. Then you throw Kris into the mix.... Sure love all you guys. Wish I coulda been there.

Eliza said...

Hey guys, the casserole was just a shepherd's pie topped with mashed potatoes and cheese and the ghosts were just made out of mashed potatoes. I put some into a ziplock bag cut off a corner and squeezed them out. The eyes are just blue food coloring I dabbed on with a toothpick.

Grannie Wright said...

Thanks for sharing. I had to show Susan. Love you guys.

Grannie Wright said...

Thanks for sharing. I had to show Susan. Love you guys.

Emilie said...

You are such a FUN Mom!!! That dinner looked amazing. Your whole day sounded like a blast! Your kids are lucky to have you. Poor Max. ;)
And that is so awesome that you grew those pumpkins in your own garden. That is something I would like to be able to do...someday.

Kindra said...

Wow looks like you guys had tons of fun! Makes me think I could have done more...I guess I will have to try next year.

I have been behind on blogs so I just now read about your house and saw the picture. SO CUTE. There is definatly something charming about living in the "country". I am glad you are happy and that the transition has been so easy. (P.S. sorry we were so out of it when you guys were here. I am really sad that we weren't able to have a better visit.)