Wednesday, August 26, 2009

First Day

The Middle Schooler
Matthew had an awesome day in fifth grade. He said that being at the middle school made him feel older. He enjoyed everything they did, he said his teacher is really, really nice. At lunch they get to choose from four different options so he was super excited about that. And he made a new friend- who only lives across the street and about four houses down, who knew? Now he has a bus buddy and they even played together after school. And I am so relieved his first day in the big house went so swimmingly.


The Third Grader
Miss Katie Grace was stressed about going to a new school but since we will be moving in just over a month I wanted to avoid having to switch schools or having to commute to the old school for the rest of the year so we just started out at the new school. Luckily, she knew one girl who was in her class last year that was also going to this school and they were able to get them in the same class and lo and behold when she got to school she discovered lots of other kids that she knew from her old school since they had redone some of the boundaries this past year. So, phew! Crisis averted and Katie Grace had an even awesomer day than she could have imagined. She loves her teacher and the new school.

The Kindergartener

Owen has been looking forward to starting school for years now, that comes with having older siblings, and so it was with much anticipation and excitement that he went to his first day of school. Unfortunately, I think his expectations were a little too high because they did not live up. He would not give me a hug when I dropped him off in the gym, I didn't think he was too old for that yet, but apparently he is. When I asked him how his day went he said, "not so good, I had to wait like over two hours for snack time!" He also doesn't know any of the kids there and so I think this made it a little harder, he told me he didn't even make any friends and his teacher kept making them give her five (they have to hold up their hands and show five fingers to quiet down). Honestly, I think he was a little disappointed that he didn't learn more. He has been chomping at the bit to learn to read and they didn't really do anything today. I think as time goes on and he makes friends and starts LEARNING things he will come to enjoy school a lot more.


All in all, I think the first days were a huge success! I felt like a weight had been lifted off of me when I got home from dropping off the kids. It was so quiet and I could think again and I'm so glad they all had a great day (for the most part).

3 comments:

Tara said...

First of all Matthew does look older, especially since I noticed him and Grace didn't wear backpacks! So happy that Matthew enjoyed his day, sounds like he will have a great year. Same with Grace, she looked adorable in her pink ensemble! And Owen I died laughing with his pose in the gym, he didn't look too much like a happy camper...I love back to school pictures! It's so nostalgic! Remember ours in front of the tree on the Delta house? We all had Trapper Keepers that year...Did I mention this last year on your blog? Anyway love you guys miss ya.

Michelle said...

LOOOOOVE IT! They all look so adorable. I can't hear their running footsteps upstairs anymore and I can't believe how grown up they all are. I am so relieved and glad that Matt and Grace both had really awesome days. I think Owen will warm up to it too. I may have talked it up a little too much for him. Love you.

Grannie Wright said...

WOW! The first day of school. I wondered if you would just start them off at the new school and you did. Smart mom. IF we were there pops would give Owen a challenge. He would say go to the new school and then come back and tell me the names of your new friends. Pretty soon he will start to enjoy it.
It looks like Matthew and Grace got right in the swing of things.
Grace you are one styling girl.
Matthew you look like a really smart guy. Nothing wtong with bbeing smart. This sure reminds me of the first days of school. Love, Grannie