Thursday, June 4, 2009

***!*!Warning!*!***Do Not Read This Post If You Have a Weak Stomach

I warned you!




If you can't handle a little gore then scroll




down really fast so you skip this post.







On Friday night Gracie spent the night at her friend's house and on Saturday morning they were going outside to the backyard and she slammed the door on her finger.




Honestly, she didn't cry the entire time, she may have cried just a little right when it happened but I wasn't there so I'm not sure. The Dr. told us later that he had another smashed finger, not even half as bad as hers, on an older boy later that day and he was crying up a storm. The Dr. didn't have the heart to tell him he just had a seven year old girl in there who didn't even cry a bit.


The fingernail was only attached at the very top and was just barely hanging on. I thought they would just remove it but the Dr. said it is better to save it because it preserves the nail bed and heals better that way. So he put two stitches in it to hold it on. It will eventually fall off when the new nail begins to grow.


She was really digging all the attention that she was getting from the whole thing. Special visitors, everyone noticing her huge bandaged finger, well wishers. So this has really turned into one of those "cool" things that happens to kids and now she'll have a great battle scar story to tell. She gets the stitches out on Saturday.

6 comments:

Rachelle said...

Holy cow! I don't normally have a weak stomach, but those pics made me cringe and want to cry for her! Way to be brave, Gracie!

Eliza said...

it didn't hurt that bad but it looked discuting!

Tara said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I can't believe what a tough girlie she is! Guess that's what you get when you have 4 brothers! Great job Katie G! :)

Lucille Jarvis said...

Poor Gracie, OUCH!, Julie Wright Blair, lost the tip of her pinky the day before went to General Conf. together back in the 8th grade, I remember because one of the stitches came out and there was blood on the bed. That really did looked gross, what us Mothers have to endure right along side with our kids. Gracie I hope you are feeling better..... love you Aunt Lu.....

Daniel and Mary said...

Oh my! That looks horrible! My girls wouldn't have made it without screaming. (I'm sure you would hear it at your house!)

Kara said...

Oh, poor poor Gracie! Ouch!! I can't believe she didn't really cry!! What the heck? She should be wearing Rex's I'm a tough cookie PJ's! Hope its doin better!