Thursday, September 1, 2011

Double Digits!!!

My little girl isn't so little anymore, well she hasn't been for quite some time but at least her age is starting to catch up to her. She'll probably still get mistaken for a teenager but at least now that she's in the double digits it will hopefully not seem so shocking, at least for me. 
Dad got her a special pink coconut covered donut. She loves coconut.
This year for her birthday Gracie said she wanted a shopping spree. So all she got for her birthday was money and she and I (and the baby, of course) spent the day shopping. We stopped by Dad's work and then went to Ikea, the mall and Target. She cracked me up with how frugal she was. Ikea was pretty much a waste of time because she didn't want to buy anything there without seeing what all her options at the mall were. She spent a ridiculously large amount of time at the rock store as she carefully chose a few select rocks. She bought a geode which was cool because she came home and got to break it open to see what was inside. 
 After about four hours of shopping she had spent a whopping $11, she eventually spent more over the next week or so.
A few facts about Gracie:

She wears a size 11 shoe in womens. Yes, you read that right- size 11. Bigger than me, we barely got to enjoy the sharing shoe phase and she's 10 for crying out loud. Oh please do not let this girl be taller than six feet, but her big feet have me concerned.  I should note that it does not seem to bother her one bit at all and unfortunately she has been blessed with no coordination.

I have never had to deal with friend drama with her at all. She is a good friend and she gets along well with others and doesn't seem to ever get caught up in any nonsense.

She hates (HATES, I tell you!) to do chores. You see, she is a child who likes to have fun. She likes to craft and write and play and daydream and do fun things! And chores are so not fun! Oh, and she also always leaves her dirty clothes in the bathroom. But, I might add, she has been keeping her room in super neat condition (mostly) since we moved into our house, nothing like this.

She's an awesome big sister. Since she likes to have fun she is always coming up with new games to play with her little brothers. She was my savior this summer while I was suffering through my pregnancy. She kept those boys entertained for hours each day playing school and doing other fun activities.

She's super smart. She scored 100 on the state standardized test in the language/reading section and only missed 3 points overall. (But I'm not bragging or anything :)

She practices her instruments faithfully, without ever being asked to do it. Last year it was the violin, this year it's the clarinet (sorry Em!) since she wanted to join the band.

She gets hot very easily, hence the flushed cheek look she sports in so many pictures. The only one of my kids to suffer from this. Weird.

Happy 10th Gracie, my dear, you are a supremely wonderful, fantastically amazing daughter! We're so lucky you're ours!

4 comments:

Emmio said...

Dang...well I guess the clarinet is alright too.

Sheesh, her feet are bigger than MINE. Now THAT'S sayin' something. I wear a 10

Michelle said...

This makes me feel kind of sick inside because, she is getting so grown up, and two because I wish I was there to see it and three because I feel bad that I didn't call. At least I can see it through pictures :). I am glad that she does not worry about her feet, no big deal. My friend Becca Olsen used to be WAY taller than me, like a foot. But we all caught up to her and I am sure that will happen to her. I love coconut too! We must be related, that made me want to try that doughnut. I enjoyed hearing about her. I miss you and love you all!

Grannie Wright said...

I'm glad that I got to be there.. If I had known about the shopping spree, we would totally have contributed.. I love coconut, too. Almond Joy being my favorite candy bar. So I guess that means we're all related.. Love you so much Gracie!! And all you Grover munchins!!!!!!

Tara said...

Wow I learned a lot about Gracie here! She must be a yellow, and I never realized that, but I can totally see it. I guess it's ok that she doesn't like to clean, because she is organized. ;) I love that Gracie girl! I think I would have LOVED to be her friend when I was 10.