Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Girl Power!

Last Saturday Gracie had her fellow girl cousins (at least the ones who live here and are old enough to party) over to celebrate their girliness (they all happen to be the only girls in their families). I was less than enthused with the idea and tried to put it off for awhile. Anything that requires extra effort on my part is usually met with my sincere desire to not partake. She was persistent in her plans and proceeded to make lists of all the party would involve. She even made invitations, leaving the date and time blank until she could coerce one out of me. I finally caved and told her a date and time far into the future (like 3 weeks) but she was so excited she could hardly stand it. She handed out the invitations the next day and then excitedly looked forward to the date of the party. I'm pretty sure a day didn't pass where it wasn't mentioned. Finally, the weekend of the party was around the corner and I resigned myself to the inevitable. I had to call my sister-in-law to confirm the time since we hadn't written it down anywhere and neither Gracie nor I could remember the time. I think I was hoping that it had been so long that nobody would have taken it seriously or remembered it. Unfortunately Luckily, Kindra told me that Macie had put the invitation on her fridge and had been asking her every day if it was the day of the party yet. So Gracie and I started talking activities and supplies, which was left mostly up to her. She was in charge of it all, all I had to do was drive her to the dollar store and provide the cash for the goods. Which wasn't much, we only spent about $10 total. This is one of the great things about Gracie, she loves to do these things and she will take the initiative to make it all happen. She is so much more creative and fun than I am.


Here's the sign from the front door. Nothing fancy but I thought the girls skirts made out of cupcake holders were a cute idea, which I of course had nothing to do with.


They began with making jewelry, beaded bracelets, necklaces and pins. Then they made fancy fans (that was my one contribution). They had a little grape koolaid tea party with blueberry muffins.
That was followed by makeovers and dressup.
I wish I would've taken more pictures of this part.

Gracie modeling the giant diamond ring from the goody bags. They also contained cute little tiaras, a magic wand, flower hair barrettes and of course some balloons and bubble gum.

They ended with ice cream sundaes.
Much giggling and girliness abounded and a great time was had by all. They decided to rotate the fun to each others' houses every year. Next year it's Audrey's turn!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh man I love stuff like this! I so wish I could have been there, to observe them of course ;). What a fun and happenin' time. I love the cup cake liner skirts, very creative. I am not sure how she can be so creative and so smart at the same time. Love ya.

Grannie Wright said...

Well I remember Eliza cohersing me into a birthday party on Friday the 13th. I tried to put you off too. But you planned the whole thing. We had a spaghetti dinner and all kinds of krazy stuff ensued. I remember walking under a ladder, borrowing a black cat and breaking a mirror in the living room. I'd have to say you were pretty creative Eliza!!!!!

Tara said...

Oh, oh, oh! I am LOVING this! Tell Gracie I said so. It is so much cuter that she did it all on her own. See, moments like these are why you live in the AZ! I love how you had to ask Kindra the time. Hahahahhahha. Yes, the cup cake skirts were to die over...! That Gracie has it all, right and left brain!

Owen Family said...

What a great bonding time for the girls! Having cousins close is something I(or my kids)never really experienced but hope my grandkids have that chance. What fun!

Kris said...

You need to take some credit! You are the coolest mom! If the kids had to ask me for everything they wouldn't get to do anything fun. I'm so glad that they have such an awesome mom to help sponsor the fun times, fort building, outings, and family movie nights. You have my vote for Mom of the Year!

Aliece said...

This is Aliece on Mom's computer. Audrey totally loved and appreciated the girl time! I love Gracie's initiative! Will she remind us next year? (Just in case!) The skirts are just amazing! Who woulda thought, Gracie!

sasmithfam said...

Love that Gracie girl! She is quite a go-getter. Way to go Mom for allowing her to do it. ANd it sounds like she did a lot of the work. :) Even though, I know it takes some effort on the mom's part. Looks like a good time!!