Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Take a Hike!

A week ago Saturday we decided to take a hike. I had remembered hiking to the Wind Caves when I was a small child but I never knew where they were. I asked my mom and she said they were just over at Usery Park, about 15 minutes away from us. Isn't it funny how in my little child mind it was such a far away and exotic place? So off we went. We had been itching to get out and do something and soak in all this most wonderful weather while we've got it. We went late in the afternoon, and it actually turned out to be such a beautiful time to go. On the way down from the top we got to watch the sunset. And it was gorgeous.
Here we are at the beginning of the hike, we didn't really have any idea how difficult it would be. It was 3.2 miles round trip, which doesn't really seem like that long, but for us out of shape hikers it was a bit challenging. We were getting passed by 80 year olds. Seriously. Granted, we did have small children with us. At least that's the excuse I'm going with.
The majestic saguaro cactus. As a child I didn't really understand their beauty, I took it for granted having grown up around them my entire life. In fact, I was never a cactus fan at all. I preferred forests. Until I began working the front desk at a hotel when I was a teenager. People from all over were fascinated by the saguaro, we had a huge one right in front of the hotel and everyone would take pictures by it. Gradually, I realized that they were something special and I have grown to love their strength and majesty.

The views were amazing. We could see the whole valley- from the skyscrapers in Phoenix to the fountain going off in Fountain Hills (which by the way ain't got nothin' on Old Faithful).
Hiking buddies.
One of these boys is doing his own thing... Kris says he is as stubborn as his mother.
Colby was so gung ho thoughout the entire hike. He wanted to do it all on his own. He only rode on shoulders for probably 30 minutes total. The hike took us about 3 hours.
Peek-a-boo Gracie.
At the top!

It was long and challenging but there is nothing better than reaching the top. So many parallels to life in hiking. I love it! It was a beautiful hike and I highly recommend it, we all had so much fun even when it was difficult. Gracie had us cracking up because she pretty much complained the whole way, asking us why we made her do this, saying we should just quit and go home and then when we got home my dad asked her how the hike was and she told him it was "awesome!" And it was! (In spite of all her complaining.)

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Ha Ha this is such a great post. I hiked Camelback a couple of times in high school and I paralleled it to life all the time! This looked like such a blast, it really made me want to do it. Gracie cracks me up, I am sure I complained like that when I was younger too though. I wish our weather was that good. But when you will be roasting we will be doing things like this (I hope), I guess it's all about give and take. Love ya!

Tara said...

Oh you tell a good story! I want to go now back to Usery, I remember it being far away and exotic as well, haha. I guess we did live on Southern & Higley! Is it really possible that the kids look taller already? Time flies. Glad to see you enjoying the AZ summer! Love ya.

Jamie said...

I love that you guys are in shorts and t-shirts! It warmed up to 30 degrees today. Woohoo!!

Owen Family said...

The scenery is beautiful--especially the bare ground. We got several more inches of snow today.

Jared Jen said...

We hiked up the Superstitions a couple of weeks ago and you are right it is absolutely breathtaking.(and I am not just meaning that because we are out of shape too!) It is funny that Gracie complained the whole way. Izzy did the same thing.

sasmithfam said...

I am sure you liked getting out and enjoying the Arizona weather. Isn't it pretty cold and snowy still in Idaho at this time of year? Unfortunately, this nice weather does not last forever and we will be hibernating or living in water in the summer.