Friday, March 6, 2009

Guess Who?!?

Anyone who has school age children probably know that a certain beloved children's author celebrated his birthday this week. And the powers that be at my children's school thought it would be a good idea to have a dress up as a character from one of his books day at school. Of course you probably guessed that I'm referring to Dr. Suess and of course Katie Grace waited until bedtime the night before to remind me of this grand event. She said she wanted to dress up as the Grinch. I had to stifle the laugh. I'm thinking how on earth would we do that? Right, I'll just pull that Grinch costume right out of my magic Cat In the Hat hat! I told her I would see what I could do and she looked at me with tears pleading for me to come up with a costume because of course, she would be the ONLY one not dressed up if I didn't. So, equipped with the guilt and stress I am too familiar with being a mom I set off in search of a Dr. Seuss costume. I pulled a few Dr. Seuss books off of the shelves and began flipping through the pages. Now, I love me a good Dr. Seuss book but you've seen his characters, right? Not exactly throw together the night before kind of costumes as the creatures in his books are somewhat bizarre! I quickly abandoned the books and set off to search the internet for pictures of Cindy Lou Who knowing she would probably be the most feasible given the amount of time. It must be said that the Cindy Lou Who from the book looks nothing like the Cindy Lou Who from the movie, but I didn't have a nightgown that I could cinch under her feet. The next morning Pessimistic KG woke up and said, "I bet you didn't get a costume, huh." I was pleased to tell her that I did come up with something and she was so excited. At first she thought I had a Grinch costume but she was more than OK with Cindy Lou Who, I'm sure just because she was so surprised that I took the time to come up with something, anything. Anyway, we did the best we could with the hair given I only had about 15 minutes to get it done before the carpool arrived. Who knew that you could just put a cup on top of your head and wrap your hair around it to achieve that lifted hair effect? Well, apparently everyone else at school who dressed up as Cindy Lou Who did, but oh well. There's always next year. At least KG was happy, she was beaming, in fact. That's when I took this picture, right after school (it looked better before school but I didn't have time to get a picture before she left). She even wanted to leave it in while we went to Walmart. I had to swallow my pride a little and pray that nobody would notice her seriously funky do. Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

It's funny because I already knew the whole story but I loved reading about it still. I definitely think it has to do with the way you write, just like everyone tells you. You just write so fun. You finished telling me the story just as she walked in the door from school and I definitely expect to laugh as hard as I did. I love it when something small can give me a really good laugh. I hope it didn't make her feel bad because I loved it!

Michelle said...

I can't believe I almost forgot to say thank you for your post on my blog. I loved what you said and it meant so much to me. It feel a lot better when I think of you and T being there to help me when I have the baby. We have such a great family. I love you.

Tara said...

Seriously seriously laughing out loud right now! She is too funny!!! I love her tell her I miss her. I agree with Mich, it's the way you write it, that gets me laughing so hard. I can hear mom laughing hysterically right now!

Grannie Wright said...

Lize, Tara here on Mom's behalf. I just read her the last three or so of your blog posts. When she saw the ones of Colby eating and I read the text she said, "That's exactly how I feel. Exactly." She smiled as big as she could when she saw the Elmo box Gracie made. And then I saved the last post, Dear Mom to read to her last. She kept giving me the ok sign when I would look up and give make eye contact. Then, afterwards she got really emotional. I asked her was it too much. Her eyes were watering she shook her head no. Then she rubbed her chest and said, "real tender. real tender." I am in tears, your words touched her heart, everyone's heart. She loves you so much. Thanks for your blog.

Crazymamaof6 said...

VERY IMPRESSIVE! WAY TO GO!

Kara said...

What a creative Mom u r Eliza!
Gracie looked way cute... and of course the most important part is that she was so happy about it! So how r u doing these days? Thx 4 the fun read!

Kindra said...

So cute! Macie had Green Eggs and Ham day at school to celebrate Dr. Suess and right now I am glad I didin't have to come up with a costume for it. I am sure I would not have been so creative.

Remember that lady at Disneyland who called us "supermom's" when we were in line with the babies and Macie and Rex. From what I read and what I have seen....I think she was right about you!!

sasmithfam said...

Awesome! Way to go Eliza! Gracie looked great. Wow! I didn't even know about Dr Seuss and all of the celebrations. All work and no play at our school. :)